Kalamazoo, MI — Western Michigan University recently requested bids for a pub in its new Student Center.
The new facility is due to open in August, 2022. For craft beer fans, this could mean a new location for an existing brewery or a home for a new brewery.
Here are more details provided by WMU:
Western Michigan University’s 18,000 students, and 2,800 faculty and staff eagerly anticipate the opening of the new WMU Student Center, August 2022. WMU’s Student Center will provide the campus an array of amenities, services, and gathering spaces that will support and enrich campus life and student engagement.
A key component of the facility is the Pub for which WMU seeks an experienced operator. The 3,000 square foot Pub will seat 110, support live entertainment, is located at the Student Center main entrance, and will include a large patio with picturesque views overlooking Hilltop Village. We seek an operator who will feature local and regional beer and wine and who will consider partnering with the WMU Sustainable Brewing program to highlight student “work.”
In addition, the Pub should feature a unique food concept with a strong lunch presence and options during evening entertainment programming. The Michigan Legislature has approved the issuance of a liquor license to a private entity specifically for the pub space (M.C.L.A. 436.1513).
The successful operator should be willing to work with the University and the MLCC to address emerging issue as this will be the first retail establishment for the sale of alcohol on campus and the commission’s rules and regulations are complex.
• 3,000 square feet – seats up to 115
• Infrastructure to support live entertainment
• Dining area fully furnished
• While the location is in the new Student Center, Kalamazoo community and campus guests are welcome.
• Designated kitchen space of approximately 500 square feet
• Bar and back-bar built out with refrigeration, taps, and sinks
• Meal segments: lunch, dinner, late-night
• Anticipated hours
• 11am – 11:30pm Monday – Friday
• 12pm – 11:30pm Saturday – Sunday
• Hours may vary pending special programs and entertainment
• Student Center foot traffic will be very heavy. The outdated Bernhard Center (which it replaces) averages 6,000 + on weekdays pre-COVID. The Student Center should attract many more.
• Anticipate high weekday lunch demand
• Premises includes a 12-keg walk-in cooler with lines to the bar taps. A second walk-in cooler is located at the
service level for remote cooler storage.
• Exhaust ducting from premises to roof
• Large patio overlooking Hilltop Village (south campus)
• Looking for an operator to serve beer, wine and a unique food concept
• Student Center website: https://wmich.edu/studentcenter/2022
Contact Paul Terzino, Student Center Director, for info: email@example.com, 269-568-8385